Prevent Rodent Infestations
Winter is a time of rodent invasion. Each winter, mice and other rodents invade an estimated 21 million homes in the United States and similarly large numbers in Canada. These unwelcome guests seek to escape the cold while looking for warmth, food, and water. Even though we are heading into potentially warmer temperatures here in BC, it’s still wise to ensure your home is protected, especially since mice still like to come in out of the rain.
- Mice can squeeze through holes as small as a pea.
- Rodents can carry disease. Their droppings can also be infected and may persist in areas with lots of dust bunnies.
- Food and water sources are very attractive to rodents, including standing water after a rainfall.
- Garages and outbuildings are also easy gateways to homes – the rodents can wait, make their homes here, and steal an opportunity to get into your house when you’re not aware.
- Keep your compost bins far away from your house. The CDC recommends you keep it at least 100 feet away from your home.
- Old trucks, cars, and tires cam make good homes for rodents, too!
Call us if you need more advice or would like to schedule an appointment to have Summit Wildlife Solutions examine your property for potential entry points and attractants.